Friday, October 26, 2012

The cast is on

I can't lie. The last week was awful. It was probably harder since I was doing it all alone in a hotel so no one else could take over for me. Our flight was delayed on the way in which fouled up E's last bath. We didn't get much sleep but I probably wouldn't have anyway. The hospital was bright and cheery and very efficient. She was in and out in less than an hour which actually went by quickly. When I got to recovery she was screaming. Poor E is usually a calm baby and doesn't cry much. The rest of the day was rough. E was either sleeping or screaming at me. It became obvious one of the issues was the trimming of the cast. This was a lesson learned. I was so upset and distracted by how upset E was after her cast that I neglected to go through the whole checklist of what I needed to know and look at before I left the hospital. I took her back in and they trimmed the top and bottom so that she could sit up (before that when I tried to make her sit the bottom dug into her thigh and the top pushed her head back). Once it was trimmed things started to get better. Next time I will know what to check and I won't leave the hospital until the cast is right.

It has been sad to watch E struggle. She is learning to sit, scoot and crawl again. She has't attempted crawling yet and sitting can be hard. She loses her balance and falls over and gets so angry. The big news is today she managed to scoot around on the kitchen floor and get into things she wasn't supposed to. That made me so happy to see and now I know that life will return to some semblance of normal with time.

Now for the stats... E's curve was 47* in August. We didn't get a before xray so we aren't sure what we were at on casting day but it was most likely worse (it looked worse through our pictures at least). The good news is that in her cast they achieved complete correction. Her spine is straight!!!!!

The next cast is in December. I still don't have the exact date but it should be early in the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment