Friday, December 21, 2012

Progress!

We thought that E's back looked significantly better after the first cast was removed and we got confirmation with her pre-cast x-ray (one that I wanted to skip but they insisted they needed it). Both were seated x-rays so we can compare one to one. In August her COBB angle was 47* and after one Mehta cast which was applied in late October her angle is now 26*!!!! Amazing progress. They think she may only need 1 or 2 more casts past this one. We are so very lucky because there are families out there that have been casting for years.

The casting went much better this time. It was still too long when she came out to recovery so it needed to be trimmed. I was so very worried because they left me in the waiting room so long. It turned out they decided to petal the cast without me there which I would have prefered to be with my baby as soon as possible. It also resulted in me having to re-petal the cast back at the hotel room because there are areas that won't rub on E but most definitely will hurt me while I am feeding or carrying her (the edges are sharp!). My only other concern is that I have been very clear that I want her reproductive organs covered during x-rays and they forgot to cover her in the post cast x-ray. I think it is ridiculous I even need to ask. This should be STANDARD procedure and not something I need to worry over. I am concerned over her future ability to have children as well as her current spinal issues.

Our flights home packed us in like sardines. There wasn't a spare seat to be had on any of them so it is is a good thing I didn't miss them! Now I think I am getting sick. The travel was exhausting and we are considering getting our casts locally. I am not happy with the way we were treated here but it is expensive, time consuming, and exhausting to travel for casts and when I think about it I wasn't listened to very well anyway (i.e. the x-ray without coverage). The doctor I liked best was at Shriners but it was hard to get on their schedule and that would require quite a bit of travel as well. He was the one that took the time to actually talk to me and address my concerns best of all.



No comments:

Post a Comment