Friday, September 14, 2012

This post is brought to you by the number 26

We had our appointment today. I got the feeling that they had already decided our treatment course from the pictures and medical records I provided in advance. It was Dr. S's opinion that we are in the 10% of the infantile scoliosis patients that does not just get better on its own (something I was already convinced of but still a tiny bit of me was hoping to hear otherwise). They also were not so concerned about whether her xray was seated or laying down like our previous appointment. The doctor here said he would speak with the one in Boston to help us with some follow ups and cast removals because traveling is hard. It was exhausting getting here on my own but in truth I really wasn't on my own since many strangers were so wonderful and offered to help when ever I struggled. It was wonderful to experience such generosity and it restored some of my faith in humanity. The nurse was very kind. She told me they have 25 families currently in treatment with Mehta casting so that makes us #26. We are on the schedule for the end of October. Everyone says the first cast is the hardest. It is made more complicated because of my latex sensitivity. Tomorrow it is time to return home and start planning our next trip down for the cast. Next week we go for one more opinion which is a back up in case of insurance issues. *fingers crossed that insurance will approve the casting*

No comments:

Post a Comment