Thursday, May 30, 2013

Life in the brace

It has taken almost a week for things to normalize with the brace but E no longer runs away as soon as she sees it and she doesn't cry when she hears the word brace anymore so that's progress. Yesterday while we were taking a break from it both girls were trying to put the brace on their stuffed animals so that they can have straight spines as well. I am not sure what I expected but I don't think it was to the transition to the brace to be so hard. There was a lot of screaming and crying. I dare say more than we've had since the first cast disaster where I am pretty sure the cast tech forgot to trim the bottom and the neck entirely and we were sent home that way. The only way to get through to the other side on this one is to just knuckle under and keep going. It felt awful to see the big fat tears and listen to the screams but now she accepts the brace and we are past it.

One thing I am completely lost on is how to change a diaper without taking off the brace. I will take some pictures of the brace to illustrate. I just do not have that kind of skill. It comes down much lower than any of our casts have and I see no way to get that sucker on and off especially if there is a poo involved.

It did not help that we got the brace the day before our big move. We had the pleasure of moving in the pouring rain and I am not sure when this new house will be unpacked but my guess is half past never. It's been a week since we've had a usable kitchen table for one thing. Daddy can't find any of his pjs. I had to venture into the attic (after Daddy tried) to find E's summer clothes since we went from 50F on Saturday to 92F on Thursday. Everything is just a hectic hot mess.

I will leave you with pics from our d.isney trip.

2 comments:

  1. How long do you expect her to be in a brace? We're getting to the point where I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so I'm starting to do some research to learn what I can before we get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were told that she'd be in a brace for a year. I look forward to being done this May. Then again we will monitor her until she's done growing. She did grow out of the first brace in 3 months and the time waiting for the new one was terrible. Then she had to get used to the new one all over again. I had this idea that the transition to brace would be smooth but she knew we could remove it and that somehow made it worse.

      Delete